Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default buck brothers planes

John Thomas wrote:
?B?4oCTIENvbG9uZWwg4oCT?= wrote in
news:2006012810114075249-nobody@verizonnet:

What would a LV plane give me that a BB doesn't?

A flat sole, maybe?

Even better, a plane that's pretty much ready to go out of the box, vs
one that may never be, no matter how much work you put into it.

The BB (jack) that I've got (before I knew any better) has bad
depressions at the mouth. And that's the good part of it.

Hear! I got the same plane, and it's true that the mouth is *sunken*
into the sole of the plane.

Even better (worse!) it appears the forces required to stamp it out were
enough to cause a (guessing from memory) 1/32" concavity along the
length of the sole that is just a little to much to sand out... at
least, I'm not looking forward to it. After 20 minutes of patient
pushing only 1/2" near the ends were touched and I gave up.

Get a used old stanley. I got one that'd been flattened on the sole,
and it only took a few minutes to correct the rounded result. It's
not a collector (despite the 2 patent dates), needed a new blade, had a
"transitional" lever cap, and some clever repairs to a split knob (wires
wrapped into carven slots, ends twisted together, and soldered all
around), but it works and cost all of $12.

er
--
email not valid