Posted to rec.woodworking
lucky4fingers

Default buck brothers planes

Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

lucky4fingers wrote:
Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA

100 years ago, Buck Bros was one of the great names in tools. Current
production... uhhhhhh.... let's put it this way: my Buck Bros block
plane, bought when I started wwing about 10 years ago, almost drove me
screaming away from hand tools forever. I like a bargain, I'm not a
tool snob, and I generally try to find some good in every tool, but
this plane proved to be almost completely useless, except maybe as a
paperweight, doorstop, or bad example.

OTOH, I have some Buck Bros chisels of about the same age that are
pretty decent, if a bit soft.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message

Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA

You already know the answer. Save up and buy the LV that you really want.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR

In article ,
says...
Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA

I had bought two Buck planes--jack and a block--knowing they were not
the "real planes" I would someday own. The idea was that I would learn
to fettle them and not be overly depressed when I destroyed them in the
process, and I was at least half right, because I was somewhat upset
when I ruined the frog on the jack plane. Well, I did eventually learn
to tune the planes and both really work well. The lessons I can pass on
to you, with the usual my 2 cents disclaimer:

Except for a Lee-Nielsen, planes require a lot of fettling--not a good
idea to practice on an expensive one unless you have confidence and
above average talent on first efforts.

A plane is, after all, just a holder for a chisel. Like all neat
phrases, this is an exaggeration, but it is true that if you spend the
time conditioning them they will produce picture-book shavings. There
are people in third=world countries who do remarkable work with very
crude tools.

I did wind up throwing away the block plane because it would no longer
tighten the blade, despite trying hard to rescue it. I don't think this
problem is unheard of.

In case, anyone is wondering why I didn't buy a used Stanley, it must be
I live in an upscale neighborhood. My Thrifts and backyard sales don't
do them. Hope this helps.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Kingsley

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It was next
to useless until I took it apart and re-ground the chip breaker to sit on
the blade properly. After that it worked quite well. I think my next
purchase of a plane will be a L-N.

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It was
next to useless until I took it apart and re-ground the chip breaker
to sit on the blade properly. After that it worked quite well. I think
my next purchase of a plane will be a L-N.

Why? The LN will cost you at least 4-6x the BB plane and you already know
how to make one of the BB planes work quite well.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It was

snip Why? The LN will cost you at least 4-6x the BB plane and you already
know
how to make one of the BB planes work quite well.

If you ask the question, you couldn't possibly understand.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig

Rather than Buck Bros., you might consider Anant planes sold by
Highland Hardware. Mutt

lucky4fingers wrote:
Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It was

snip Why? The LN will cost you at least 4-6x the BB plane and you already
know
how to make one of the BB planes work quite well.

If you ask the question, you couldn't possibly understand.

I would like some help understanding. I bought a BB plane at HD because
I had never used one, and I didn't want to drop $200 on one without
some idea of whether I would use it regularly.

After having used it some, I would consider a nicer plane if I had some
inkling about the difference.

I'm currently using it it plane some cherry boards that I glued
together. I am experiencing tearout if I'm going against the grain. I
think that happens with any plane, doesn't it? What would a LV plane
give me that a BB doesn't?

Thanks,
--Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like some help understanding. I bought a BB plane at HD because
I had never used one, and I didn't want to drop $200 on one without
some idea of whether I would use it regularly.

After having used it some, I would consider a nicer plane if I had some
inkling about the difference.

I'm currently using it it plane some cherry boards that I glued
together. I am experiencing tearout if I'm going against the grain. I
think that happens with any plane, doesn't it? What would a LV plane
give me that a BB doesn't?

Better wearing iron, undoubtedly, plus the ability to adjust the throat to
take the type of shaving which would minimize tearout even up grain.

Plus, if you've got big hands, a _lot_ more room for your knuckles. Keeps
you from getting an impression of the plane body in the first joint of your
little finger during longer sessions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When you say "ability to adjust the throat", are you talking about
adjusting the opening where the blade comes through the sole?

I have looked over that plane trying to find a way to do that, and
couldn't. But the nicer planes will let you do that?

Thanks,
--Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nevermind. I just looked them up and saw that they do offer that
adjustment.

Thanks,
--Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It
was

snip Why? The LN will cost you at least 4-6x the BB plane and you
already know
how to make one of the BB planes work quite well.

If you ask the question, you couldn't possibly understand.

Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than sense.
The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting changes. LN
are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Agreed.

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

LN
are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It
was

Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than sense.
The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting changes. LN
are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

I shouldn't have responded in such a smart ass way.

I only have one Lie Nielson plane, a nice 140 skewed iron patterned after an
old Stanley.
There are alternatives to the $200 planes. I have old Stanley Baileys and
Bedrocks purchased on EBay. A nice #4 Bailey can be had for well under $40.
When you pick it up, you will know the difference. I wouldn't bother with
the new Stanleys, but I know a school that uses them and they are tuned
planes that
do quite well.
I have two Veritas planes and two Veritas spokeshaves. They came out of the
box working. Moderate price and great quality.

When you pick up a Lie Nielson plane or a Veritas plane after holding a
modern Buck Brothers you will know the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Lobby Dosser wrote:

: Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than sense.
: The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting changes. LN
: are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

What makes them not worth the money? They're better machined
than the Stanley Bedrock's they're derived from, have better
and thicker blades, etc.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It
was

Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than
sense. The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting
changes. LN are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

I shouldn't have responded in such a smart ass way.

'Sallright, I smart assed right back. )

Soon as I get the Cash together I'm looking at 3 or so Knight planes.
Everyone here raves about the quality and the price is sure right. I'v
got a number of older SBs I picked up on e-bay and garage sales. Also and
old wooden jointer of about 26" length. The mouth is kind of wide and I
can't decide whether to patch the mouth or use it as a scrub. Until then
it just sits there as one reminder of all the stuff I need to tune. When
I started along the Neander Way I was very ignorant and bought a new
Record smoother. Probably put 20 hours into that sucker and I'm still not
satisfied with it. Tuning the SBs went a lot quicker, so the Record was
worth something. The same lesson could be learned on the Buck, for less
than half the price of a new Record.

Got a chance to fondle some of the LV planes and LN planes at last years
Woodworking Show. I prefer the LVs. When they noticed that the drool was
starting to pit the sides, I was asked to leave. )

I only have one Lie Nielson plane, a nice 140 skewed iron patterned
after an old Stanley.
There are alternatives to the $200 planes. I have old Stanley Baileys
and Bedrocks purchased on EBay. A nice #4 Bailey can be had for well
under $40. When you pick it up, you will know the difference. I
wouldn't bother with the new Stanleys, but I know a school that uses
them and they are tuned planes that
do quite well.
I have two Veritas planes and two Veritas spokeshaves. They came out
of the box working. Moderate price and great quality.

When you pick up a Lie Nielson plane or a Veritas plane after holding
a modern Buck Brothers you will know the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Andrew Barss wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

: Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than
: sense. The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting
: changes. LN are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

What makes them not worth the money? They're better machined
than the Stanley Bedrock's they're derived from, have better
and thicker blades, etc.

-- Andy Barss

I can do the same job with cheaper planes. If I was starting from
scratch, I'd buy the Buck for practice. If I tuned it to usefulness,
fine. If not, then I've learned things at little cost and have a fairly
decent doorstop. Then I can go on to picking up old SBs a Lot cheaper
than LN. Better machined and thicker blades are not worth the difference
in price. The LV shoulder planes, however, are on my list. I can't even
come close to what they've done for shoulder planes by buying an old
Stanley.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 23 Jan 2006 07:20:12 -0800, "Pig" wrote:

Rather than Buck Bros., you might consider Anant planes sold by
Highland Hardware.

I'd rather drive a Ford.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Layne

The Yugo of handplanes....seriously I don't think Anant planes are any
better than Buck Bros.

Layne

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:18:37 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 23 Jan 2006 07:20:12 -0800, "Pig" wrote:

Rather than Buck Bros., you might consider Anant planes sold by
Highland Hardware.

I'd rather drive a Ford.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

?B?4oCTIENvbG9uZWwg4oCT?= wrote in

What would a LV plane give me that a BB doesn't?

A flat sole, maybe?

Even better, a plane that's pretty much ready to go out of the box, vs
one that may never be, no matter how much work you put into it.

The BB (jack) that I've got (before I knew any better) has bad
depressions at the mouth. And that's the good part of it.

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

John Thomas wrote:
?B?4oCTIENvbG9uZWwg4oCT?= wrote in

What would a LV plane give me that a BB doesn't?

A flat sole, maybe?

Even better, a plane that's pretty much ready to go out of the box, vs
one that may never be, no matter how much work you put into it.

The BB (jack) that I've got (before I knew any better) has bad
depressions at the mouth. And that's the good part of it.

Hear! I got the same plane, and it's true that the mouth is *sunken*
into the sole of the plane.

Even better (worse!) it appears the forces required to stamp it out were
enough to cause a (guessing from memory) 1/32" concavity along the
length of the sole that is just a little to much to sand out... at
least, I'm not looking forward to it. After 20 minutes of patient
pushing only 1/2" near the ends were touched and I gave up.

Get a used old stanley. I got one that'd been flattened on the sole,
and it only took a few minutes to correct the rounded result. It's
not a collector (despite the 2 patent dates), needed a new blade, had a
"transitional" lever cap, and some clever repairs to a split knob (wires
wrapped into carven slots, ends twisted together, and soldered all
around), but it works and cost all of $12.

er
--
email not valid