Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Default Ubuntu Live CD

Winston Smith wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 02:45:56 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Winston Smith wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:19:29 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

But I still need my CAD, C++, QB tools.

Google 'wine linux'.

If I'm reading them right, it runs Windoze applicaitions in Linux.

As it turns out, Win4 allows win apps to run Concurrently with Linux,
not under it...

That's fine if you want Windows anyway/too. Wine claims to let you
run Win applications without even having Windows on the machine. One
operating system, free of cost, and at less virus risk is appealing to
me. YMMV. I haven't tried it yet so I'm only going by what their
page says.

http://winehq.com/
"Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs.
Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free
alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100%
non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows
DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit
for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader,
allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes,
including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris."

--
W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira

Thanks, Winston.