Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mawdeeb

Default Heavy quick release mechanism???

J. Clarke wrote:
Mawdeeb wrote:

TJH wrote:

OK, perhaps this might sound strange, but I'd like to drop a car from a
crane.

I'm thinking about doing a project for a high school senior class to
show the violence of an auto crash (educational for prom week) at
roughly 30-45mph. In order to do this, I'd hoist an auto by a crane up
say 40 - 50 feet, and then drop it to the ground. But, to do this, I
need some type of quick release mechanism, because the crane owner
isn't going to risk damaging his equipment by free-falling the cable.

I've thought about using heavy duty strap webbing with a quick release
buckles, but I'm not sure if they would support the weight. The release
has another problem - how do I do it from the ground? Ideally, I would
have some sort of remote controlled release, but wireless? Wired?
Mechanical? Cheap and easy is the challenge as well.

If any have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

TJ Hanlon
SRO, Pawling Schools

I believe the device your looking for is called a Pelican Hook. The
release is manual via a second rope. Any decent rigging shop or marina
should be able to rent you one or point you a source for purchase.

Not designed to open under load.

Incorrect. The Pelican Hook was desined specifically to release a cable
or chain under load in an emergency. The trebu chet users use them to
hold the counter balance weight under tension.

http://www.ripcord.ws/triggers.html is one example.

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fl