Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default milling 3/16" slot 1.25" deep in steel

gtslabs wrote:

I set my bridgeport up to cut a thin slot in a piece of steel. So far I
have only broken bits.
I dont know much about hardness but the material I am using has a black
coating. Not sure what that is. But I started off with a 1/8" endmill
taking very light cut at a very slow speed. I am having no luck.
Additionally, I need my slot to be deeper than the endmill itself.

What I am doing is setting up a 2 brackets to hold a 1/8" x 1.25" x 12"
long cutting bar. I am sure there has to be an easier way but it might
take more pieces than cutting from one.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

If the slots are open ended, couldn't you just use a slitting saw?

And if they're not, maybe you could make them that way anyway and silver
solder some 1/8" thick stops at the ends?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)