Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Default math and metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

Mike,

Good point on the degree! I never thought to post it.

I'm working on a ministry degree. I don't think I'll need to know alot
of geometry or trig in preaching the Word of God. LOL. That is why I
thought I would try to take something that would help out in my little
machining hobby.

Trig might not help you preach, but it might help you help kids
succeed in school (tutoring etc.). As it turns out, I will offer
pretty much the same advice as befo if you are going to take a lot
of math, skip a formal trig course, because you will pick it up other
ways. If you would go no further than the basic calculus sequence (if
that), then trig will probably do you more good than anything else,
but ONLY after you make peace with algebra.

I disagree with posts suggesting that you should steer away from math
because it is superfluous. Some skills based courses will give you a
unique perspective when working with kids on the edge of failure.
Some need a swift kick through the hoops in front of them; others need
help making a graceful landing short of them, and you'll be more help
to both groups if you can tell the difference between them.

Good luck!

Bill

I don't know, it might make for some unusual sermons...

Steve