Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob

Default OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?

Justin wrote:

Opossums look like cats. They have tails, eyes and ears like cats.
They smell like cats too. Can I correctly call an Opossum a cat?

PossumMan:

There are some distinct Form/Functional differences between opossums
and cats. Opossums have long thin muzzles, short legs compared to body
size, and that distinctive hairless "Rat-like tail. Functionally there
are differences as well, they are marsupials with a "pouch", they are
omnivorous in their eating habits, So really they're not much like cats
at all.

From a materials properties standpoint tungsten carbide tooling shares
many of the properties of metals. It's hard, lustrous, conducts heat &
electricity, is attracted to magnets, has what appears to be metallic
bonding of at least one of it's constituents (possibly the cobalt
binder). Most of these properties are shared by the general class of
High-Speed-Steels which also use tungsten and forms ferric, vanadium,
molybdenum "carbides".

Perhaps we should call tungsten carbide tooling "'Possum Metal".

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob