Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Old wire thicker than new wire?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:28:26 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 26 Jan 2006 12:41:46 -0800, wrote:

"12 gauge can be a bitch to work with, especially when you need to cram
it behind the switches in boxes that aren't big enough. Are you sure
you want it running EVERYWHERE in the house? "

It's not a bitch to work with if you use stranded wire.

How about when trying to get it around screw terminals?

I thought stranded couldn't be used under screws but I looked a while
and didn't find a restriction. It is definitely can be a problem. I
break the wire into 2 sets of strands and twist them tightly - works
good except behind device grounding screws. Can always pigtail to solid.
Poke in connections tightened by screw work good. I also thought
stranded couldn't be used with back-stab connections but in 1991 it could.

bud--

I has a few stranded wires to connect to screws (on a standard
receptacle) before Christmas. I used a short piece of solid wire on
the screw and wirenutted to the stranded.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com