Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Old wire thicker than new wire?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
It's even more of a joke to use stranded with wire nuts. But, people do

it.

What is it on this user group about wire nuts. I work in a plant and it is
hard telling how many thousand connections are made with wire nuts. I would
guess it has to be around 100,000 or more. Everything from some low level
signal wires up to some 10 HP 480 volt 3 phase motors. Most all the wire is
stranded. If they are put on correctly we have almost no problems with
them. I don't usually use any tape on them except for some motors that seem
to shake and viberate alot. The tape is not so much for the wire nuts
themselves, but a few have rubbed through the insulation of the wire nuts so
much of the tape is just around the thin covering on some of the wire nuts.
The ones we use do not require any twisting. Just cut the insulation to the
proper length for the wirenut and put the ends together. Then let the
turning of the wire nut take care of things.