Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Default Old wire thicker than new wire?

wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:28:26 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

I thought stranded couldn't be used under screws but I looked a while
and didn't find a restriction. It is definitely can be a problem. I
break the wire into 2 sets of strands and twist them tightly - works
good except behind device grounding screws. Can always pigtail to solid.
Poke in connections tightened by screw work good. I also thought
stranded couldn't be used with back-stab connections but in 1991 it could.

bud--

If you look at commercial installations youy will seldom see anything
but stranded THHN. It works just fine on screw terminals and wirenuts.
They are both listed for stranded wire. Maybe homeowner/electricians
are just not up to the task ;-)

Seroiusly, if you twist the wire tightly it will be fine. Some old
timers say twist it backward from the way it is made. That does seem
to work.

Yea, I havn't had problems with tightly twisted stranded on hot and
neutral. I'm not real happy with the ground because the screws don't
have adjacent barriers to prevent the wire from spreading/coming out
like the hot and neutral do. Backwards is an interesting idea.
You have to be more careful using wirenuts on stranded but made right
they are reliable.

bud--