Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default math and metalworking

I'm not crazy about the analogy, but I think I get the point.

To expand on it a little, I think that machining, and its allied endeavors,
would likely greatly potentiate the whole math/learningthinking process,
mebbe by a full order of magnitude.

IOW, teach yer average video/game-playing suburban Goth-child geometry,
trig, calculus, and w/ half a brain they'll get/slug through it, and proly
try to forget the experience.

Teach that same curriculum to a kid who instead hung out in his dad's
machine shop, actually DOIN sumpn, and he'd likely not only greatly excel,
and even enjoy, that same geometry, trig, calc, but might also come away w/
new independent insights into things and the world.
Which could then help his shop endeavors, which would then reinforce the
academic/learning experience, etc. etc.
A powerful learning tool, imo.

And the same should hold for adults.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...

"mj" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tom,
Why Geometry?
Mike

I would liken it to an accountant studying addition and subtraction. As
you machine more, you will see that you are using the math of
relationships in shapes, mostly circles and triangles. Most of it will be
very simple and become second nature and you will visualize the effects
that your cuts will make.