Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default math and metalworking

Well, I'm just genuinely curious:

Spose I'm making a part.
I know, from general principle, that the *least* amount of a part requires
makes for a cheaper part.
So I determine just how much slop I can get away with.

Spose, through consultation, trial and error, etc., I determine that the .25
dia.pin I'm making can "tolerate" a maximum tolerance of +/-.005, but
"feels" a little better w/ +/- .003 tolerance, altho production might be a
little slower at .003.

It is now a judgment call to decide whether to go w/ .005, or .003

How would statistics, in any way, have helped me in this
determination/judgment call?

Now, if I had just received 100,000 parts, and wanted to check the
quality/precision of the batch, then I'd have to follow standard sampling
guidelines, punch the numbers in a program, and see if I get a pass or fail.
And even then I wouldn't really need statistics, cuz someone who knew the
statistics already set up the algorithm/criteria, etc., so I can in fact
just punch in the numbers.

Not saying statistics is not a noble endeavor, cuz it really is fascinating
at its core.
Just saying that proly not a single machinist or hobbyist in the goddamm
world needs to know it.

Other than the relevance of statistical principles in general, which
everyone should know, just as "self defense"--bell curves, standard
deviations, etc.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote in message
ps.com...
I stick with my recommendation. Statistics is very much related to
tolerances if you are doing designs that are going to be produced at a
reasonable cost. But the main reason I recommended Statistics is that
it did not sound like the poster was planning on an Engineering or
Science career. More likely to end up in business. Would be more
helpful there than trig, algebra, or geometry.

Dan

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Can't disagree w/ much in this thread, except for the statistics
advice....
goodgawd....
And, statistics is not even *related* to tolerances or their
understanding,
UNLESS you are doing something like quality control, random samplings,
etc.

--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll