Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default Magnavox FP5230 repair

I strongly suggest doing it right, pulling the tubes out, taking them apart,
cleaning all of the contaminated material out, resealing, refilling and
re-installing.

Leonard

"Bill S." wrote in message
In article ,
says...
This is the first I've heard that there's fluid to change in a
television.
I see on google what it's roughly about. Does it come down to scooping
stuff out with a turkey baster?

I haven't tried a turkey baster, sounds like it could be messy.
I use an ordinary vacuum cleaner plus a collection chamber made with
an oxygen bubbler (medical supply house will probably call it a
humidifier) and associated vinyl tubing plus a certain type of
toilet tank flush flapper that adapts the vacuum hose to smaller
tubing nicely. The collection chamber avoids sucking fluid directly
into the vacuum's hose, which would pretty much ruin it for any
other use.

Depending on the way the set is constructed, you sometimes have to
tilt it forward or backward so that the fill hole is uphill, but
this is a lot less work than what the factory expects you to do,
which is to remove all the CRT's from the set.

Whatever you do, don't dribble it on the circuit board or wiring,
because it is somewhat conductive.

As for optical cleaning, I assume rubbing it with Q-tips of some
solution would be ideal; perhaps using one of those towelletes that come
with glasses.

Plain toilet paper, kleenex (not the stuff with lotion), or kitchen
towels work good for the majority of the work, finish up with
something lint-free. Sometimes have to make a pass with methanol
or isopropyl to cut nicotine or grease film, then follow on with
Windex.

Obviously, don't worry about the optics until you have the electrical
working.