Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendations for bandsaw tuneup

Richard wrote:
Well folks, I pulled out the old band saw tonight and blew it out. I
have just a few issues, and I thought I'd mention them here in the
event that you all have some suggestions. By the way, I haven't had the
blade under tension. I released the tension right after I stopped
using it, so I do hope that my spring is still good.

ohio forgery was a pretty low end brand, so the spring may not have
been much to start with. if you find that you have trouble with flutter
or keeping a blade tracking even with a fresh tune up on the saw, the
spring may be too soft.

I have a thin line of wood resin in the middle of the tires. More on
the lower tire, but some on the upper tire as well. Does anyone have
any suggestion of a wood pitch solvent that wouldn't hurt the tires?

simple green or citrasolv. if the rubber is already degraded it's
probably just a matter of time till they come apart on you anyway. if
there isn't a lot of pitch I'd leave well enough alone.

The tires do look pretty good, although I did see some what looks like
crazing, but the rubber is solid. I don't want to clean them off with
anything that will hurt the rubber. While we're at it, does anyone
have a suggestion of what I might treat the rubber with to make it more
pliable?

sounds like they are showing their age. I'd run them until they start
throwing chunks and/or running loose, then I'd replace them with
neoprene ones. don't put armorall on them.

The upper and lower bearings (behind the blade, on which the blade
pushes) look like they have some resin, and I did oil them a little,
but the bottom bearing feels pretty rough. Any source for bearing
replacements?

look in the yellow pages for a belt and bearing supplier near you. take
the bearing in and show it to the guy at the counter.

or perhaps I could take them off and let them soak in
something which might loosen them up a bit.

first soak them in a cleaning solvent like mineral spirits. then soak
them in oil. do not run them under load or at high speed without
lubricant.

I fired it up (after having removed the blade) and the motor spun right
up and the lower wheel turned nicely.

sounds like you are on your way to a running band saw.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!