Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default math and metalworking

Mike,

I need to take a college level math course for a Bachelors degree that
I am working on. The school does not care what it is as long as it is
college level. So...what should I take that would be useful for my
little hobby machine shop? Geometry? Trigonometry? I was going to take
a Algebra class since I sort of know that already, but I thought I
would get opinions from the group first. I've never worked with
geometry or trig before (or at least that I know of), so give me an
idea what I would need them for.

You don't identify the degree you seek, which makes it hard to give you
a good answer. My reflexive answer is to take all the math you can fit
into it, starting with algebra because "sort of know that already" is
not a firm foundation, and algegbra is hugely important for anything
else you will do.

A formal course in trigonometry is, IMHO, a bit of a waste if you take
basic calculus, physics, and then branch off into any
math/physics/engineering degree program. In any of those areas, you
will learn trig as you go and in self defense.

If you are going for another type of degree, then trig arguably makes
more sense than calculus, because while the latter exposes you to some
trig, it is cast differently and won't really help you if you stop there.

If you are in doubt about what to do, and engineering appeals to you
(owning a lathe and a mill certainly puts you "at risk"g), please
seriously consider studying engineering. IMHO, it is one of the best
undergraduate degrees available. Obviously, it is not for everyone and
if you are strongly pulled in another direction, go for it.

Good luck!

Bill