Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default Black and Decker 12 v drill: Faulty battery charger

"John Weston" wrote in message
. ..
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE, in article kDPBf.61295$W4.25838
@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, says...

Hello all.

snip

I had a similar problem some time ago - the primary
appeared to be open-circuit. What has (probably) gone is
a thermal fuse in the transformer. I found this out
after trying the fix (1) below

1. I ditched the transformer and cut off its lead to the
charging base. I had a suitable NiCad charger, capable
-----------------------------------
of charging greater than 12v batteries, and replaced the
transformer with this. It worked better after I removed
the diode in the battery holder (the only component in
there), I believe this is only used to prevent the
charged battery discharging through the transformer's
secondary if the mains is turned off with the battery
still connected. Using the NiCad charger instead of the
simple transformer meant I didn't have this problem.

snip

Can you give me any details of that Nicad charger?
Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

--
John