Posted to alt.home.repair
Craig Robison

Default Water Heater Install Question

wrote in message
oups.com...
" You did hook it up the right way. I might have put the temp of the
gas
a little higher than the electric to avoid having the electric kick in
under
normal conditions. Putting then in parallel would have been wrong.

I suggest that when the time comes that you are ready to address
this
problem, that you consider a more conventional solution. In the long
run a
single larger high recovery heater is going to cost you less and
require
less maintenance than your current setup.
--
Joseph Meehan "

I second that advice. Two seperate small water heaters are going to
have considerably more heat loss that one larger unit, leading to
higher operating costs. How much did you manage to save by going with
a second smaller unit, instead of just buying a bigger one and selling
the old one? You'd be surprised what you can sell on Ebay!

Also, I'd measure the 125 degree temp at the point of delivery to the
dishwasher and set the heater temp based on that, not right at the
heater.

The electric water heater was $179. A 60 Gallon gas heater was over $400.
So I figure I saved at least $220. As far as eBay goes, I looked, I MIGHT
have grabbed $50-$75 for the old one. The question then is how long will it
take me to run $220 of electricity through the electric water heater? I'm
guessing a while, and, a 60 Gallon gas heater would have had an increased
operating cost over the 40 gallon I have now. I suppose if you really
wanted to crunch some numbers you might come up with the most cost effective
long-run solution.
Next thought;
Would going from 40 to 60 and then dropping the temp from 150 to 125 really
have increased my capacity that much? It would be 20 more gallons at a
lower temp? Again I suppose you would have to run some numbers..

Craig