Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Water Heater Install Question

Craig Robison wrote:
I have a perfectly good 40 gallon Natural Gas water heater (in the
attic) .. I found that it
was cheaper to add a second 40 gallon water heater (plenty of room)
than to replace the existing one .. I plumbed them in
series rather than parallel. ...
I have set them both to 125 degrees, the minimum temperature
that the dishwasher manual recommends .. My question,
is there anything wrong with having the water flow from one to the
other in this manner? ..
Any Thoughts?

Craig

You did hook it up the right way. I might have put the temp of the gas
a little higher than the electric to avoid having the electric kick in under
normal conditions. Putting then in parallel would have been wrong.

I suggest that when the time comes that you are ready to address this
problem, that you consider a more conventional solution. In the long run a
single larger high recovery heater is going to cost you less and require
less maintenance than your current setup.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit