Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob

Default OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?

Cliff wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:18:30 GMT, BottleBob wrote:

Cliff wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:37:10 GMT, BottleBob wrote:

It's not my fault that you are unable to support your claim, and seem
to be in a snit over it.

Ah, but you see ...... I know what metals are G.

Cliff:

By all means, let's hear your definition of what metals are, and/or
their properties.

Metals are metals, BB.

Cliff:

Just thought I'd clean up some lose ends while I have a few minutes to
spare.

You have been bragging about how you "Know what metals are", but when I
asked you to grace us with your definition of metals, and their
properties, all you could come up with was "Metal are metals?" LOL Do
you really think that's a cogent response, that's about as useless and
uninformative an answer as anyone could give. Metals have various
definitions, and properties. I'll list a few from Wikipedia below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal

In chemistry, a metal (Greek: Metallon) is an element that readily
forms ions (cations) and has metallic bonds, and metals are sometimes
described as a lattice of positive ions (cations) in a cloud of
electrons

The allotropes of metals tend to be lustrous, ductile, malleable, and
good conductors, while nonmetals generally speaking are brittle (for
solid nonmetals), lack luster, and are insulators.

Alloys

An alloy is a mixture with metallic properties that contains at least
one metal element. Examples of alloys are steel (iron and carbon), brass
(copper and zinc), bronze (copper and tin), and duralumin (aluminium and
copper).

Physical properties

Traditionally, metals have certain characteristic physical properties:
they are usually shiny (they have "luster"), have a high density, are
ductile and malleable, usually have a high melting point, are usually
hard, and conduct electricity and heat well.

I'm not the one that is having trouble backing up his claim.

I don't need to GGG.

You don't NEED to? You were bragging about knowing what metals are,
but when I challenged you to present some evidence of why you believe
Tungsten carbide is NOT a metal all you've got to say is "I don't need
to GGG"? Either you know, or you don't.

You & your lint think it's faith-based again? Subject to you two changing
your opine again later I suppose ....

"Faith based"? You're such a kidder. When challenged to support your
claim that tungsten carbide was not a metal YOU were the one that said
"I don't have to." YOU were the one that was bragging about knowing
what metals were and when actually asked for your definition and
properties of metals all you had to say was "Metals are metals."? I was
the one that has posted the definition and properties of metals from
credible encyclopedias and then YOU have the audacity to say my post of
scientific data on metals is "Faith Based"? LMAO! You HAVE heard of
the psychological affliction called "projection", haven't you? You
know, where someone accuses others of faults they themselves possess to
deflect attention away from their own shortcomings.

Are you claiming that elemental Tungsten is NOT a metal? Better go
look at a periodic table of the elements if you're in doubt.

What part of "CARBIDE" was unclear?

Do you see the word "CARBIDE" in my sentence above where I said: "I
think we have established beyond a reasonable doubt that Tungsten is a
metal."

But THAT's not at all the subject, now is it?

You were responding to what I wrote. I never mentioned carbide in that
sentence. I suggest you try reading for content, for a change. g

You used it to opine about Carbides .... LOL ....

Nope. You better go reread the exchange for content. I was speaking
strictly about tungsten in that exchange.

You claimed to know the facts, but when I asked you to support your
position you failed to present any. What do you think that says about
your "claimed" knowledge of the facts?

That they make mighty fine bait at times GG.

Bait? That sounds suspiciously like an attempt to use weasel words to
cover your lack of knowledge of the subject matter after all your
bragging. That, or you REALLY are simply trolling with little thought
given to trying to arrive at the truth. Either way, not exactly the
behavior of someone very interested in contributing in a positive
manner, eh? LOL

Rocks are opaque too so I suppose that you think that they are metals too ...

Do all rocks have good electrical and thermal conductivity? NO!
Do all rocks have a crystalline structure? NO!

Umm ... you may want to rethink that G.

Oh? Why? You've never heard of amphorus (non-crystaline), rock?

You are thinking of glass?

Look up pumice, obsidian, scoria, opal, etc. These ARE considered
"glassy", but my point was that not ALL rocks have a crystalline
structure, to which you seemed to object.

Do all rocks have a luster when polished? NO!

Umm ... you may want to rethink that G.

Oh? Why? Are you mistaking smoothness for luster?

Your angle's probably all wrong G.

Just look at the clarification given in the first part of this post
from Wik about the properties of metals. "They are usually shiny (they
have "luster")"

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob