Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg G

Default Old wire thicker than new wire?

On 26 Jan 2006 13:01:51 -0800, wrote:

All romex (nm) and armored cable is solid. I have NEVER seen any
type of
stranded permanent electric wire used in a house.

There's plenty of THHN 12 ga. stranded in my house. Some people
complain that HD doesn't sell THHN solid anymore, This may have
recently changed, but in NY City all the wiring in your house had to
be armored cable (in walls) or in conduit (exposed). The stuff that's
in conduit in my house is largely stranded. It's easier to pull
through the conduit. It seems to be powering this computer very
nicely.

I did also notice that it appears older wire was thicker than todays
comparible cable.

As for 12 guage being a pain in the ass to work with??? Bah! you'll
get used to it, just like anything else. I rather have the higher
compacity cable in the walls just in case I want to go 20 amp
rather then having to rewire when all the walls are up.

I agree. I never use 14 for anything.

Greg