Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adam Preble

Default Magnavox FP5230 repair

Bill S. wrote:
4835 140 67104 is the original part number, and
4835 140 67128 is the replacement number.
Either one would work, but you will probably find that 67104 isn't
available unless someone has one that's been gathering dust on the
shelf for quite awhile.

I managed to find a 67104 for about $74. It came to $90 with shipping
and tax. I'll see when it shows up--God bless the Internet . . .

I see the transistor is used for horizontal deflection. So would that
explain the lack of display right there? What about vertical?

No, actually Q802/T801 does horizontal deflection, tube filaments,
28 Volt supply for vertical and a couple others. Q906/T900 does
only the High Voltage for the CRT's, which is (usually) why you get
no picture but everything else works.

That's odd; I thought the datasheet stated it was horizontal deflection.
As long as it works . . .

Usually T900, Q906, R934 are all that is needed, unless there is
something else wrong with the set. I'd give the solder joints a good
visual inspection while the board is out and re-do any that look bad.
Barring elctrical problems, it's likely to need fluid change/optical
cleaning, minor convergence and color balance tweaking.

I've read some stuff in the FAQ and convergence and color balance. I
guess I have to get myself a test pattern. It has an S-Video in so I
figured my laptop could provide that signal. This is the first I've
heard that there's fluid to change in a television. I see on google
what it's roughly about. Does it come down to scooping stuff out with a
turkey baster?

As for optical cleaning, I assume rubbing it with Q-tips of some
solution would be ideal; perhaps using one of those towelletes that come
with glasses. I'm not going to guess what exactly, but it seems like
there's good information online about it.

I'll update with a new thread when I get the parts and my tools ready.
It'll be fun taking off that board so I can mess with the parts easily.