Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default Big Lathe?

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:41:30 GMT, "dw" wrote:

to differ with everyone else (not that such a difference should
surprise you), I like Raffan's intoduction, "turning wood with richard
raffan" - I found it helpful when starting out, and I personally like
"L'art du tuournage sur bois" by Gerard Bidou - it's a great source of
ideas once you think you are hot stuff - I haven't seen it in English
though, I'd probably get even more out if it in English, but I've
never seen anything like this in english language books. The Eyrolles
book chain in Paris has 10 or 12 feet of wood turning TEXT BOOKS !!!!!
it's just amazing.

Thank you ALL for your posts. It was exactly as I feared... There are all
kind of reasons to "go big." As far as budget and such goes, anything's
possible with time. As I said, I'm ABSOLUTLY brand new to this stuff - so
far I've turned several very small things (pen, key chain, a couple of small
bowls) just to play around with it. But it definitely is something I enjoy.

The next question really is "what book(s) do you recommend for learning the
basics, the right way? I guess really the next question is "Does this group
have an FAQ that I can read... since it probably includes the answer to the
book(s) question..."

Thank you all!

dw

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com