Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default math and metalworking

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to take a college level math course for a
Bachelors degree that
I am working on. The school does not care what
it is as long as it is
college level. So...what should I take that
would be useful for my
little hobby machine shop? Geometry?
Trigonometry? I was going to take
a Algebra class since I sort of know that
already, but I thought I
would get opinions from the group first. I've
never worked with
geometry or trig before (or at least that I know
of), so give me an
idea what I would need them for.

BTW, my machine shop is a mini-lathe and a
mini-mill. I build 1/8 scale
military models. I am working on my first one. I
am hoping to get it
done in the next couple of months. I am building
a fairly simple
trailer for my first model, but I want to get
more detailed models as
my skills improve.

Thanks

Mike

I took an engineering degree about 35 years ago
and busted my butt with the maths they loaded us
up with. Calculus, differential equations, second
and higher order differential equations etc. etc.
It was all necessary for the physics and control
theory classes. In the last 35 years I have used
calculus about once( to find a minimum point).
Everything else has been just algebra,geo/trig and
plain old arithmetic. Since the invention of
Excel, I hardly used anything else. Take the trig,
it will be useful in the shop.