Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default math and metalworking

On 26 Jan 2006 18:48:51 -0800, "mj" wrote:

I need to take a college level math course for a Bachelors degree that
I am working on. The school does not care what it is as long as it is
college level. So...what should I take that would be useful for my
little hobby machine shop? Geometry? Trigonometry? I was going to take
a Algebra class since I sort of know that already, but I thought I
would get opinions from the group first. I've never worked with
geometry or trig before (or at least that I know of), so give me an
idea what I would need them for.

BTW, my machine shop is a mini-lathe and a mini-mill. I build 1/8 scale
military models. I am working on my first one. I am hoping to get it
done in the next couple of months. I am building a fairly simple
trailer for my first model, but I want to get more detailed models as
my skills improve.

Thanks

Mike

I'd say go with algebra. Here's why I'd say that:

Geometry and trig are both useful in the shop -- but a college level
course in either is going to focus on theory as a preface to
calculus. You will never, ever need to solve a trig identity or
prove a geometry theorem in the shop! A vo-tech course on shop
math, or even a book, will give you all the simple plane geometry and
trig you'll ever need in the shop. You could learn all the trig
you'd ever use in the shop in a single evening. All you'd ever use
would be the sine, cosine and tangent functions (and their inverse
functions) of right angles -- material for a single 1-hour lecture in
a trig course.

What would you use them for? To calculate or set up angles using
linear measurements or standards as with a sine bar, and to calculate
motion in one direction from motion at a known angle to that direction
as with the compound on a lathe. Calculate dimensions from other
known dimensions at known angles as in how many running feet on a
pitched roof of known X and Y dimensions.

Algebra often includes some descriptive geometry, specifically
defining functions in terms of cartesian coordinates (X, Y, Z) ,
cylindrical coordinates and polar coordinates. That is very useful
in the shop, and may well introduce all the trig you'd ever need.