Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler

Default how to test gas copper line for leaks

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:09:56 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Propane is often done with copper, mostly compression fittings. As for
sweating with propane in it, yes, it can be done. No., it won't explode.
All of our natural gas lines in commercial and industrial are welded. Yes,
they are sometimes welded with gas in them, but the meter shut off.

My folks had a natural gas line leak killing the grass in a spot just
off the side entrance. The gas company dug it up, then the repair guy
cleaned off the plastic wrapping the pipe. He then took a torch to the
pipe upstream of the leak, heating the pipe to red hot. Then he used a
pair of pliers and crimped the pipe shut, stopping the gas flow. Leaky
section of pipe cut out, new section welded in. Heat the crimped area
red hot again, and finagle it with pliers to open it back up. Tested
for leaks (bubble solution) and finding none, reapply protective pipe
wrap and fill in the hole. Grass grows great now. Oh, this was in the
drop between main line and meter, at least 50ft from the main line, and
at least 75ft from the meter.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com