Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Perry Murlless

Default math and metalworking

I'd say try trig. Even though just about every pocket calculator can do the
math, you still need to know what a hypotenuse IS!! You'll thank me the
first time you want to make a flywheel with some fancy slots on its face!!

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to take a college level math course for a Bachelors degree that
I am working on. The school does not care what it is as long as it is
college level. So...what should I take that would be useful for my
little hobby machine shop? Geometry? Trigonometry? I was going to take
a Algebra class since I sort of know that already, but I thought I
would get opinions from the group first. I've never worked with
geometry or trig before (or at least that I know of), so give me an
idea what I would need them for.

BTW, my machine shop is a mini-lathe and a mini-mill. I build 1/8 scale
military models. I am working on my first one. I am hoping to get it
done in the next couple of months. I am building a fairly simple
trailer for my first model, but I want to get more detailed models as
my skills improve.

Thanks

Mike