Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Big Lathe?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:33:58 -0800, "William B Noble (don't reply to this
address)" wrote:

aaah, I don't know about that - I have a Stubby 1000 - don't know if
that qualifies as a "big" lathe, though I can turn over 40 inches
between centers and several hundred pounds - but I do find it much
easier to use my Nova Comet (a mini) for pens - why? well the tool
rest on the stubby is longer than the length of a pen so I can't get
it close to the blank, and I'd have to move the belt to get the RPM up
into the high range - so it's much easier for me, at least, to use the
little lathe for pens and tiny things that are done between centers.
If not working between centers, then it doesn't much matter and I tend
to use the Stubby

Make a set of tool rests for that stubby, Bill... if anyone can do it, YOU
can...
(yeah, I bought a 4" and 8" for the 1442, but I'm welding challenged)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing