Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Recommendations for bandsaw tuneup

do you have any suggestions on tune up, or what a good all-purpose blade might be suggested?

I'd recommend a 3/8", 4-6TPI. What I'd recommend even more, though, is
ordering one of the books mentioned above and then calling Timberwolf
(suffolkmachinery.com, (800)-234-7297) and talking to one of their
helpful operators about what kind of blade they recommend, and then
ordering that from them. You'll need to know the length of your old
blade, though - if the saw says 92", and it's a 6" riser block, it
should be 104" for the blade. One of the things you'll read in your
new bandsaw book is that a 3/4" blade is probably too thick for a 14"
bandsaw - I've seen it done, but the book will probably recommend 1/2"
max for most use. Also, if the saw has been sitting for 15 years with
tension on the blade, you'll probably need new springs, new tires, and
some work to make the wheels co-planar. But get a book and read all
about it for yourself.
Good luck and have fun with your "new" bandsaw,
Andy