Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Recommendations for bandsaw tuneup

On 26 Jan 2006 04:46:06 -0800, "Richard" wrote:

Folks, I haven't turned on my band saw in over 10 years, but recently
am re-organizing my shop and wanted to get your advice regarding the
band saw. I have an "Ohio Forge" (the taiwanese/chinese brand that
home depot sold ~15 years ago) band saw with the riser insert. It has
been sadly neglected, as my shop has been so disorganized that I
couldn't even get to it, but I hope to put some lockable casters on it
and fix it up. The last blade that I had on it was ~3/4" and I used it
for sawing lumber.
Does anyone have a suggestion regarding an average all-around blade
that I should purchase for this band saw? I'm thinking that perhaps a
1/4" or 3"8" blade would work for most of the tasks that a band saw
does. Also, I'm not really sure about the length of the blade. I
believe the label on the saw says something ~ 92", but that was without
the riser block.
Does anyone know the length that I should purchase, perhaps 106"?
This weekend I hope to blow the sawdust out, clean it off, use some
steelwool and was on the table, and fire it up. Any thoughts on what
else can be done to tune up this old saw?

Thanks again for your advice on getting this saw back in commission,
Richard

if it's a 14" BS, the riser kit should change the blade size from 92" to 105"...

Get a couple of different blades, but a 3/8" with about 8 or 10 teeth per inch
is a good general use blade.. YMWV
Mac