Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill S.

Default Magnavox FP5230 repair

In article ,
says...
Bill, I think you're my new messiah:

Just happen to have seen a few of these in my employment at
a (former) Magnavox dealer.

I was told flyback transformers are the common thing to go on
televisions in general.

Twenty KV plus is rough service even for parts designed for it.

Are you saying this transistor, that fuse resistor, and the
transformer are likely the things to change?

High probability, yes.

I know it goes OT, but what kind of iron do you recommend then?

Probably not what you want to hear, but I use a dedicated desoldering
tool, Pace MP-1 that cost several hundred. It has hollow tips and
built-in vacuum pump. Hard to justify the cost for occaisional jobs
like you're doing, but well worth it when you do this sort of thing
nearly every day. I think Ungar made a lower-cost squeeze bulb type
of tool, which I haven't tried, think maybe Weller owns this design
now.

And let us know when you get to removing the HV wire from the old
flyback, it's a bit tricky too.

I see some stuff in the FAQ about it. I have to get myself a few high
watt, mega ohm resistors. I'm hoping if I leave it unplugged a few
days, it will only mildly kill me as oppose to completely free me.

The focus/screen control block has a built-in bleeder resistor, so if
it has been off for a few minutes the HV is already bled away. I've
never had one of these bite me (unlike normal TV's). I was referring
to the mechanics of the clip that holds the HV wire into the flyback.
I think maybe the replacement flybacks come with a new clip nowadays.