Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.aol.tricks
Cliff

Default OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?

On 26 Jan 2006 07:15:10 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Cliff wrote in news:kipbt1ddk2a8khhvsdqgaeil8ncdtbdchk@
4ax.com:

On 23 Jan 2006 13:25:54 -0800, wrote:

Because he was sophisticated technically and socially we had a lovely
conversation and found we were using many similar terms with different
meanings.

Ask about Aluminum billet motorcycle parts G.

Herr Huprich what does hartmetall mean in German?

Hart - Hard

Metall - Metal

Hartmetall - Tungsten Carbide

Germans use "contractions" a lot.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr translates "Tungsten Carbide" as Hartmetall,
Hartmetall to "Tungsten Carbide" and "Hart metall" to "Hard metal" while
translating Tungsten to Wolfram and Carbide to Karbid.
It translates "Wolfram Karbid" to Tungsten Carbide as well as
"WolframKarbid" to "Tungsten carbide".

Guess what "keramisch" means?

Sez "ceramically" G.

Hmmmm. Surely the Germans can't be wrong.

I've also seen Tungsten Carbide referred to as a "composite", a ceramic,
and a cermet.

You must be with BB who cannot tell "hardmetal" from "hardmetal"
as they sound much the same G.

BTW, I added alt.aol.tricks as I know that there's an expert in
German there (or at least there was) G.
--
Cliff