Gary Coffman

Default Phillips Spec(s)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:35:24 GMT, Carl West wrote:
So I've got a bunch of beat up Phillips head drivers and I want to clean them up and make 'em useful again.

Some have a fairly acute angle to them, some are less so, which is right?

What I'd really like to find is the spec(s) for the geometry of the various sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

US and Japanese Philips are different. The Japanese standard ones have
a more acute angle. A US Philips driver tends to round out Japanese standard
Philips screws. Found this out when we started getting Sony broadcast
equipment. We had to order sets of Japanese standard screwdrivers for
the shop to avoid ruining the screws.

They also use a different slotted screw design. It has a hole in the center
of the slot, and the driver has a pin. Really much better than the plain slotted
ones we use here.

Gary