Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default Black and Decker 12 v drill: Faulty battery charger

Hello all.

I have this electric drill which is approx. a couple of years old (so I
suppose we're dealing with Nicads).
The charger unit consists of a a plug-in transformer with a 4-diode bridge
(on a pcb) being located in the adapter. The markings on the transformer
a Output DC: 14.5 Volts, 220 Ma, 3.2 Va .
The transformer is faulty (open circuit primary winding/connections). I've
been unable to open the transformer housing (no screws, and a very tough
casing).
My question is: I would like to use an alternative transformer (cased
preferrably), to replace the faulty one. I understand that in order to
supply the 220 ma to the battery, the VA rating is important.
Can you suggest a suitable AC transformer? I know that such a transformer
without a load can give several more volts (12v = 15 v). Also, to keep to
approx. 220 ma, might a 12 v transformer with a higher VA do, or what else
might do?
I don't normally have problems with the "usual" transformers, but this is
somewhat different.

All info/advice will be highly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm a regular reader of this group, and know that this question is not
entirely off-topic.

Sylvain.