Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Latcha

Default Big Lathe?

Because of the extra mass, weight, stiffness - and just simply having elbow
room to move yourself around and get comfortable - it is often easier to
turn small things on a big lathe than it is on a small lathe.

In fact, it's easier to turn anything on a big lathe than on a small one.

Then why ever get a small one? Space (duh) and budget limitations,
sometimes portability. And because turning on a small lathe is way better
than not turning at all.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"dw" wrote in message
Hello to all,

I have a small Ryobi lathe. My father bought it, never used, and I ended
up with it. You all know this part of the story... "out in my shop one
day I decided to play... two days later I started getting the shakes and
really needed to turn something..."

Anyway, there are several things I don't like about this lathe, and am
considering buying a new one. I would love to buy a larger one that would
allow me to turn larger items, but I do still like to turn smalll things
(pens, mini-bowls, etc.) So here is my question. Can a full-size lathe
turn the small stuff just as well? Or is the larger lathe "awkward" when
turning small things?

Thanks for you help!

dw