Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

Default Big Lathe?

In article bHKBf.755415$xm3.511692@attbi_s21, "dw"
wrote:

Hello to all,

I have a small Ryobi lathe. My father bought it, never used, and I ended up
with it. You all know this part of the story... "out in my shop one day I
decided to play... two days later I started getting the shakes and really
needed to turn something..."

Anyway, there are several things I don't like about this lathe, and am
considering buying a new one. I would love to buy a larger one that would
allow me to turn larger items, but I do still like to turn smalll things
(pens, mini-bowls, etc.) So here is my question. Can a full-size lathe
turn the small stuff just as well? Or is the larger lathe "awkward" when
turning small things?

A good large lathe can turn anything from lace-bobbins, pens, or
ornaments to 20+ inch bread bowls

The real question is, what is your budget (both space and size)?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv