Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Default buck brothers planes

Andrew Barss wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

: Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than
: sense. The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting
: changes. LN are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

What makes them not worth the money? They're better machined
than the Stanley Bedrock's they're derived from, have better
and thicker blades, etc.

-- Andy Barss

I can do the same job with cheaper planes. If I was starting from
scratch, I'd buy the Buck for practice. If I tuned it to usefulness,
fine. If not, then I've learned things at little cost and have a fairly
decent doorstop. Then I can go on to picking up old SBs a Lot cheaper
than LN. Better machined and thicker blades are not worth the difference
in price. The LV shoulder planes, however, are on my list. I can't even
come close to what they've done for shoulder planes by buying an old
Stanley.