Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Default buck brothers planes

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:ibaBf.13495$jd5.3575@trnddc02...
"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:LvZAf.10255$Le2.1015@trnddc04...
"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It
was

Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than
sense. The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting
changes. LN are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

I shouldn't have responded in such a smart ass way.

'Sallright, I smart assed right back. )

Soon as I get the Cash together I'm looking at 3 or so Knight planes.
Everyone here raves about the quality and the price is sure right. I'v
got a number of older SBs I picked up on e-bay and garage sales. Also and
old wooden jointer of about 26" length. The mouth is kind of wide and I
can't decide whether to patch the mouth or use it as a scrub. Until then
it just sits there as one reminder of all the stuff I need to tune. When
I started along the Neander Way I was very ignorant and bought a new
Record smoother. Probably put 20 hours into that sucker and I'm still not
satisfied with it. Tuning the SBs went a lot quicker, so the Record was
worth something. The same lesson could be learned on the Buck, for less
than half the price of a new Record.

Got a chance to fondle some of the LV planes and LN planes at last years
Woodworking Show. I prefer the LVs. When they noticed that the drool was
starting to pit the sides, I was asked to leave. )

I only have one Lie Nielson plane, a nice 140 skewed iron patterned
after an old Stanley.
There are alternatives to the $200 planes. I have old Stanley Baileys
and Bedrocks purchased on EBay. A nice #4 Bailey can be had for well
under $40. When you pick it up, you will know the difference. I
wouldn't bother with the new Stanleys, but I know a school that uses
them and they are tuned planes that
do quite well.
I have two Veritas planes and two Veritas spokeshaves. They came out
of the box working. Moderate price and great quality.

When you pick up a Lie Nielson plane or a Veritas plane after holding
a modern Buck Brothers you will know the difference.