Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Wirenuts Part II

"Tim T" wrote in message
: On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:36:56 -0500, MC
wrote:
:
: Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:
: Rusht Limpalless ) said...
:
: I was always taught the 'right' way to use wire nuts was to
pretwist or
: 'pigtail' the bare wires first, apply the wirenut in correct
size and then
: use vynyl tape over all as insurance.
:
:
: Tape always looks like you are trying to hide something. As
neat as you
: do it initially, it always looks like hell after a period of
time.
:
: I always say: electrical tape is not for joints - there are
only two
: reasons I keep electrical tape in my electrical tool box:
:
: 1) For attaching wire to a fish tape/line for pulling
(temporary use)
:
: 2) I like to use a short piece of tape applied tightly and
neatly
: to hold anti-shorts in place on BX cable ends
:
: I use tape around wirenuts for added assurance the wirenut is
not going
: to back off or come loose which I have seen happen. I wrap the
tape in
: the direction that will pull the wirenut tight.
:
: Also, tape is used to cover up the mistake you made when you
stripped
: the wire too much (so the bare part won't all fit under the
wire nut).

You can always tell which people read/parrot past posts so they
can sound competent, can't you? Usually it's the incompetent
ones who do that, too. Eh, Timmy?