James P Crombie

Default Drilling flat bottom holes

Opps, didn't see the depth criteria in the original message. The only
other thing I can think of short of a milling machine and endmill is a
spur type bit or what B&D calls their bullet drill bits(I think) and
that will leave a small hole in the middle, and they would have to be
modified a bit to give you a flat bottom.
You may be able to get away with a 4 flute endmill by using a drill
bushing in a jig, but that could get a little costly and you might be
better off subconstracting it out.

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"James P Crombie" wrote in message

Marty
Drill your 7/8 hole with a regular drill to the proper depth. Then
uses a reground 7/8 drill with flat bottom. It will need a relief gash
in the center to enable it to cut properly and I would put a small
radius on the corners of the drill to prevent chipping.

Sadly, while your suggestion is a good one, one that I have used for the
bulk of my years in the shop, it won't work in his case. The size of the
hole versus the depth won't allow for it.

Harold

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer