Roger Shoaf

Default Drilling flat bottom holes

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

While I value your opinion, my over 40 years in commercial machine shops
tell me that when you plunge cut with end mills, one side (or flute)
generally drives. It can be caused by chip loading, a slightly duller
side, a small defect in the cutting edge, the reasons are endless.

Perhaps I was misunderstood, I was soliciting your opinion to understand why
you felt it wouldn't work, not to suggest you were wrong.

My
suggestion to make a tool that is circularly ground (no peripheral relief)
helps avoid the problem. Counterbores are made thus, and for that

reason.

Working with large tools in a drill press that has little to NO rigidity

is
a recipe for disaster. I am not of the opinion that it won't work, but

am of the opinion that it works only for those that don't know the
difference between a milling machine and a drill press. Once you're

used
a mill, even one as spindly as a Bridgeport (I can say that, I own one),
you'll fully understand what I mean. When you plunge cut with an end

mill
of the needed size, especially when it's held in a drill chuck, which is

NOT
intended to hold heat treated items like end mill shanks, the chances of

the
hole coming out even remotely the right size is almost non-existent.

That's
true even in a milling machine, especially a spindly one.

In a drill press, runout of the chuck holding the end mill alone would
likely be trouble. The spindle will allow the end mill to wallow

about,
and with the side relief of the end mill as it is, it's likely to hog in

and
create lots more problems than one can settle. Instead of piloting on

the
hole as it is generated, the end mill simply cuts away anything that gets

in
the way when it wallows about. Personally, I wouldn't use a drill press
for any kind of milling. Even when they make the cut, the degree of
precision sucks, and the finish is likely to be something for which you'd

be
constantly making apologies.

Hope this helps you understand my position.

Harold

Thanks, as much as I like being right I enjoy understanding why I was wrong
even more.

--
Roger Shoaf