Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Gas Welding aluminum Semi summary?

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:41:32 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

2. Upgraded Eye protection to protect against Sodium Metal flares.

3. Possibly a better means of cleaning the AL before welding (acetone?)

4. Better ventilation/fume extraction because some of the stuff coming
off the weld will be really toxic stuff (or at least stuff best left
outside of my lungs) And stuff more Caustic than say a plain old Cigarette

For question 2 will an autodarkening Welding helmet in the OFF position
(Shade 5) cut it for getting rid of sodium flare? (I have a Miller Xli
helmet already and if it will work i'll be happy)

Not nearly as well. A shade 5 pretty much darkens everything. The
idea here is to block the flare without otherwise reducing visibility
much.

Sodium flare has a very narrow spectrum or band of colors around
yellow-orange, a small percentage of the total visible spectrum.
If a filter blocks those colors much more strongly than others, then
your visibility of the work and puddle is greatly improved. The
TM2000 is about a shade 5, but it completely blocks the sodium
flare. Totally, as in gone. Your first clue that you are near
welding temp is when the flux melts -- and you can clearly see it melt
and turn clear. The TM2000 can also be (and is) used for gas
welding steel including 4130, and cast iron.

I don't sell these things or get a kickback, I'm just thoroughly
impressed with how well they work. Professionals like Ron Fournier
and Kent White (the tin man) use them routinely.