Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

Default Wirenuts Part II

Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:
Rusht Limpalless ) said...

I was always taught the 'right' way to use wire nuts was to pretwist or
'pigtail' the bare wires first, apply the wirenut in correct size and then
use vynyl tape over all as insurance.

Tape always looks like you are trying to hide something. As neat as you
do it initially, it always looks like hell after a period of time.

I always say: electrical tape is not for joints - there are only two
reasons I keep electrical tape in my electrical tool box:

1) For attaching wire to a fish tape/line for pulling (temporary use)

2) I like to use a short piece of tape applied tightly and neatly
to hold anti-shorts in place on BX cable ends

I use tape around wirenuts for added assurance the wirenut is not going
to back off or come loose which I have seen happen. I wrap the tape in
the direction that will pull the wirenut tight.