Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

Default buck brothers planes

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:ibaBf.13495$jd5.3575@trnddc02...
"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:LvZAf.10255$Le2.1015@trnddc04...
"Jeff Kingsley" wrote:

I bought a smoothing Buck Brothers Plane because of its price. It
was

Sure I could. There have been times when I've had more money than sense.
The LV planes I can understand. They've made some interesting changes. LN
are probably good planes, but IMO not worth the money.

I shouldn't have responded in such a smart ass way.

I only have one Lie Nielson plane, a nice 140 skewed iron patterned after an
old Stanley.
There are alternatives to the $200 planes. I have old Stanley Baileys and
Bedrocks purchased on EBay. A nice #4 Bailey can be had for well under $40.
When you pick it up, you will know the difference. I wouldn't bother with
the new Stanleys, but I know a school that uses them and they are tuned
planes that
do quite well.
I have two Veritas planes and two Veritas spokeshaves. They came out of the
box working. Moderate price and great quality.

When you pick up a Lie Nielson plane or a Veritas plane after holding a
modern Buck Brothers you will know the difference.