Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Connors

Default 4" vs 6" ducting for effective dust collecting

Scott Lurndal wrote:
Joseph Connors writes:

Some people have had allergic reactions to wood dust and no longer can
work wood. These reactions can come about after prolonged exposure, with

And some people have allergic reactions to peanuts and can no longer
eat peanut butter. The vast majority of people who have and do work
with wood don't have allergic reactions. Don't blow the problem all
out of proportion.

That is true as far domestic woods are concerned ... not true at all for
exotics. Allergic reactions can develop over time ... the more exposure,
the sooner it can happen. Also, wood dust is a know carcinogen.

But you are right in that most of the time allergic reactions are not
going to be the problem. Lung problems are the main issue and that takes
time and exposure.

no obvious ill effects to breathing the dust, and all of a sudden they
either must wear a respirator or not work wood. If you have this genetic
trigger, it can happen right out of the blue with little or no warning.

And whether or not you use dust collection won't prevent it, unless you
have _perfect_ dust collection, which is probably unachievable (no hand
sanding, let someone else empty the collector, vacuum the shop floor
ten times daily, etc.).

It most certainly will prevent it. You do not need PERFECT dust
collection, which I agree is probably unachievable in a practical sense,
just reducing the exposure will suffice. I'm not saying that one whiff
of wood dust and it off to the pulmonary care unit ... we're talking
reasonable precautions here.

4" pipe CAN work for some machines with a large enough blower. It
depends on a lot of factors. Its just for most machines and blowers, the
6" pipe is required.

In an industrial setting, perhaps. For a home shop?

scott

Where the shop is physically located is irelevent. The
pipe/blower/filtration combination is what matters.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule: