Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Anderton

Default upvc windows in conservation area.

On 23 Jan 2006 10:32:36 -0800, "legin"
wrote:

I seem to have stirred up some interesting responses.

Just don't mention Leylandii :-)

Thanks to all for
the replies. To clarify the area has only recently been designated a
conservation area. The houses vary from 60's built in one area to turn
of the century in another. There is a complete mixture of styles from
brick built or rendered houses to brick built or rendered bungalows all
with a mixture of timber or plastic windows. The roofing materials
vary from modern pantiles to rosemary tiles to slate and to artificial
slate.

Planning permission was granted and no conditions have been
imposed regarding plastic windows.

The shell of the house has been
built and particular attention has been given to stone cills and heads
towards the front elevation. Corbelled brick detail and traditional
slate. I have used rise and fall brackets so there are no fascias to
paint and have built, what I believe, is a very low maintenance and in
keeping traditional house. I know that this sounds contradictory but I
despise the thought of having to repaint timber windows. My earliest
memories are of terrible draughty uncomfortable howling windows! I am
not trying to cheapen the situation either. I have sourced some very
authentic sash windows that are quality made using white u.p.v.c., and
they are not cheap. I recently met with the conservation chappy to
finalise the corbelling detail. At this meeting he expressed his
dislike for plastic windows. My first meeting with him he agreed to
them on the basis that they were prolific within the area, bit of a
trade of to me agreeing slate as oposed to rosemary tiles. What really
narks me is that at least three houses within the area have changed the
windows to plastic since it became a conservation area, seemingly
unchallenged. Is it just an opinion or enforceable?

It depends. As I read your post and got to "Planning permission was
granted and no conditions have been imposed regarding plastic
windows.", I thought "Aha, they're in the clear" but your paragraph
below may indicate otherwise.

I intend to ask
someone from planning to approve in writing the final details as i did
with the bricks and slates. Just wanted to gather as much info to
prepare myself. Thanks all.

Does the consent mention something along the lines of "All materials
must be approved by the planning department" (which would include
windows) or is it more specific "All bricks and slates must be
approved" ?

If the latter, you're OK, if the former, you'll have to persuade the
relevant planner that upvc is appropriate. This is by no means
impossible, some planners are very reasonable people and would
hopefully be open to the argument that upvc is in use in the locality.

Good luck,

John