Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

"al" wrote in message
.. .
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I've seen a local offer for a metal one for under £100 including
fitting. Strikes me as alarmingly cheap considering what most "workmen"
charge by the hour these days!

We bought ours, many years ago, from a shed, it was cheap and very easy
to fit. Why do you need someone to install it? I think eight screws were
needed to fit two hinges - which haven't let us down.

I'd imagine the hatch opening will need to be enlarged as it's quite small
and square at the moment. One of those jobs in the "can't quite be arsed"
category below the many others! I suppose it wouldn't really be brain
surgery, but I've never really looked into expanding the hole and I don't
have that many fine woodworking tools to cut the joints for a new
surround, etc.

I've got a week coming up soon with the wife & infant away ... plan to
strip & redecorate the kitchen & bathroom. Think that's ambitious enough
for now! Garage also needs clearing, painting and "sorting" plus the loft
could do with stripping & re-insulating plus some flooring in patches. So
yeah, a loft ladder would be nice ...

You're not going to get all that done propoerly in a week, especially
without someone to see to your bodily comforts.

Mary