Rex B

Default Question, home shop security systems

|In my limited experience with burg alarms, dealing with the dialer and
|monitoring stations are a big headache. My shop is similar to what you
|describe. I would suggest a couple of motion detectors, door contacts, and
|a 130dB+ siren tucked away under an eve of the roof, facing towards the
|road. Also, you'd be amazed how far just a "protected by" or "surveilance
|by" decal placed in conspicuous areas (door, window) goes against detering
|theft.

After my shop was cleaned out a few years ago, I installed a 2-zone unit from
Radio Shack, along with 2 door switches and a motion sensor. Oh yeah, the
decals and a big horn siren atop the building. I test the siren every so often
to put the more unsavory locals (my shop is in the middle of an older mobile
home community) on notice. No problems so far.

BTW, as I'm often needing to go to the shop and end up there without the key, I
bought one of those permanent mount keysafes like the realtors use. Made the
combination = the alarm code. Works like a charm, and I can let my kids or good
friends use it when I can't be there.
Rex in Fort Worth