Koz

Default OT - NY Times economy article

Although I respect your opinion about "the red menace", there are a few
points to be made.

Most of China is MORE capitalistic than the USA. Although there are
large government subsidies (mostly for larger stuff and largely
indirect) etc, the majority of their economy runs in a similar
"business" mode to the USA. The subsidy issue also comes up in the USA:
A good example is increasing orders for Patriot Missle systems that are
an abject failure. Another example are the huge sums of money given to
the wine making industry to "market" products.

Much of the USA effectively has "slave labor" also. This varies from
the prison workforce (paid pennies on the dollar with large government
subsidies to market products) to the current changes in the overtime
laws (which the Dept of labor admits will cause loss of overtime for a
huge number and those who are no longer "exempt" from overtime are
expected to have wages lowered so there is no net gain...IE working
extra hours for free).

Finally, Are you saying that our threats against russia and china to
keep their hands out of the Iraq issue (not to supply aid to Iraq) and
the threats of "severe retribution" against those couontries if such
were to happen as being any different than the Taiwan Issue?

The pot calls the kettle black

Koz

...... wrote:

snip

Having said that, my concern is that our business with China is the classic
case of a free market selling communists the rope with which we will be
hanged. These people not only use slave labor to beat their economic
competitors, they are physically dangerous to us. When a major Chinese
general says that interference with their desire to absorb Taiwan will be
for them to nuke LA, this should not be dismissed, and we certainly
shouldn't be doing business with them.