Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default buck brothers planes

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like some help understanding. I bought a BB plane at HD because
I had never used one, and I didn't want to drop $200 on one without
some idea of whether I would use it regularly.

After having used it some, I would consider a nicer plane if I had some
inkling about the difference.

I'm currently using it it plane some cherry boards that I glued
together. I am experiencing tearout if I'm going against the grain. I
think that happens with any plane, doesn't it? What would a LV plane
give me that a BB doesn't?

Better wearing iron, undoubtedly, plus the ability to adjust the throat to
take the type of shaving which would minimize tearout even up grain.

Plus, if you've got big hands, a _lot_ more room for your knuckles. Keeps
you from getting an impression of the plane body in the first joint of your
little finger during longer sessions.