PJ

Default OT Ge breaker in Murray panel

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray
hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat
pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel.
The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one
made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is
there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made
by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan,
Yes. it is a fairly new code change. I believe 2002 but I'm not
absolutely sure of exactly when the code changed. The breaker
manufacturer has to match the panel manufacturer in all work that
will be inspected, currently. This means that panels that would have
passed 2 years ago with mixed breakers must be changed out to meet
the new code requirement in order to pass new or re-inspection. No
grand fathering.
PJ